Monday 25 January 2016

Return of the Mac

Brian McDermott says returning to Reading is like “going back to family” after his “bonkers” time at Leeds.

The 54-year-old has returned for a second stint at the Royals.

His tenure at Elland Road ended in farce after he was TWICE sacked by owner Massimo Cellino.

Now McDermott is back among friends — and loving it.

He said: “A lot of pals warned me ‘never go back’, but this feels right and I’m really enjoying it.

“I had a few opportunities to go back into management but they didn’t feel right. This is a bit like going back to family.

“Me and the director of football, Nicky Hammond, go back a long way.

“And I’ve known some of the players since they were kids of 10, 11 years old.

“If we can all pull in the same direction then we can get something alarming going here.”

McDermott first joined Reading as a scout in 2000 and went on to become manager.

He led the Royals back to the Premier League in 2012 before being controversially sacked by Anton Zingarevich in March 2013.

Now the club is under new Thai ownership and McDermott says every- thing is geared up for promotion again.

McDermott added: “The fanbase is there, the stadium is great and we are building a new training centre.

“The owners have good ideas and are ambitious. Everything here is Premier League. We just need to get momentum going by giving the fans something to get behind.”

This optimism contrasts with his final months at Leeds. Cellino fired McDermott in January 2014 — before he had even bought the club or met the manager.

He was reinstated the next day, only to be sacked for good four months later. McDermott said: “It was a bonkers time, no doubt about it.

“I’d never seen anything like that before and hopefully never will again. It was tough, really difficult. What got me was that we didn’t even know each other.

“I think you have to build a relation- ship with someone before you make a judgement on them. I think my track record justified more time.”

He has nothing but praise for the long-suffering Leeds fans. McDermott added: “Until you become a part of that club, you don’t realise how big it is.

“I remember we went to Slovenia in pre-season and were outside this little pub in the middle of nowhere. There must have been 1,200 Leeds fans there and I thought, ‘wow, this is big’.

“I was struck by everything about the place and envy the man who takes them back to the Premier League, because it will be huge.”

After leaving the Yorkshire giants, McDermott became chief scout at Arsenal and says it was an invaluable experience.

He added: “I was travelling to Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Portugal, it was a great job. The organisation there is top drawer and Arsene Wenger is obviously a fantastic football man.

“I learnt a lot from him and even identified a few players who might be useful to us here at Reading.”

This article first appeared in The Sun on January 23rd 2016.

2 comments:


  1. echt geweldig informatie je delen op uw blog , i like it en ik vind het zeer behulpzaam, goed geluk
    zie ook deze website zijn zeer nuttig voor aankomende T20 2016
    World Cup 2016 Fixture
    World Cup 2016 Schedule
    World Cup 2016 Live

    ReplyDelete
  2. SCAMMERS DRAINED AND RUINED ME FINANCIALLY AND LEFT ME HOMELESS BUT THANKS TO PROSPER LOAN PLC:- prosperloanplc@gmail.com or call +1(205) 224-8709 .

    Greetings to everyone, Life they say is full of deceit. No torture and pain can be compare to what i Theresa L. Bernard experience in the hands of scammers, I trusted the words of those fake loan lenders without verifying, I lost more than $12,500 in the quest of obtaining a loan i sold my car defaulted in my bills but i keep on falling victim my life has been piece of trash full of mess. My kids dropped out of school, My bank denied me credit because my credit score was down already. Until last week a very close friend told me that she got a loan from PROSPER LOAN PLC that i should also give it a try. Not having an option I contacted them with a heart full of sorrow and skepticism i shyly follow their procedures comply to their policy, I was waiting for the bad news like every other loan company i contacted gave me then i receive a credit alert that my bank account has been credited with $250,000 which i initially applied for instantly tears of joy roll out of my eyes because I never believe it will come through. Whenever you are in need of any kind of loan don't be a prey and contact the one true loan company via their information. Email: prosperloanplc@gmail.com or Call +1(205) 224-8709. And receive your financial breakthrough. ^^^^^^^^^

    ReplyDelete